“SORRY IS THE HARDEST WORD” – SUPER SUNDAY SEMINAR:
“SORRY IS THE HARDEST WORD”
SUPER SUNDAY SEMINAR:
SIMPLY SHAPING SUPERBLY
Sunday 18th August 2013
Here’s the venue:
Mary MacKillop Hall 227 Blair St Dallas
On-line at www.trybooking.com/CFGA
Here’s the timetable:
- Please aim to get there at 1.30 pm for registration and prompt start.
- 2.00 Welcome by the Chair
- 2.30 Session 1 Context and History
- 3.50 Afternoon tea (and Muslim Asr prayer time)
- 4.20 Session 2 Faith Approaches
- 5.35 Muslim Maghrib prayer time (with brief explanatory introduction)
- 6.00 Light buffet dinner (with Christian and Jewish blessings)
- 7.00 Muslim Ishah prayer time
- 7.15 Session 3 Q&A based on your submitted questions
- 8.30 Wrapping it up, with a prayer of forgiveness from each faith
- 9.00 Time to go home.
Here’s the topics and themes:
- (Session 1) The history of the relations among the three faiths, and an exploration of the need for apology and the healing of memories.
- (Session 2) The sacred texts of our traditions, and how liturgy and ritual aim at encouraging us towards forgiveness, reconciliation and peace-making, as individuals and as members of a broader community.
- (Session 3) Your opportunity for personal engagement with a panel. You will be given a blank form at registration and invited to write a question which could be asked of the panel.
Here’s the people:
Welcome: Dr Paul Gardner AM, chair of the seminar’s organising committee, retired academic, member of Blake St Hebrew Congregation, a founding member of JCMA.
- Rev. Dr Coralie Ling, a Uniting Church Minister, former chair and current member of the JCMA Conference Committee, actively involved in the JCMA Women’s Committee.
- Reem Hakem, politics student at Monash University; her special interests are Middle Eastern politics and religion.
- Tzipi Boroda, Master of Education from the American Jewish University (Los Angeles), writer, teacher-presenter, events coordinator; she also acts in a pastoral role as Rabbanit of Kew Hebrew Congregation.
- Ramzi Elsayed, a leader within the Muslim community, immediate past president of the Islamic Council of Victoria
- Rev Dr John Dupuche, parish priest, Chair of the Catholic Interfaith Committee, chair of the JCMA Conference Committee in its early days.
- Rabbi Stephen Boroda, rabbi of Kew Hebrew Congregation, together with wife Tzipi working on a project to build an affordable housing village near the synagogue, to rejuvenate Orthodox Jewish life in Kew.
- Moderator: Imam Riad Galil OAM, president of JCMA, imam of the West Heidelberg Mosque. The panel members:
- Rabbi Jonathan Keren-Black, rabbi at the Leo Baeck Centre since 2003, the founder of JCMA in the same year and currently the Jewish faith convener on the organising committee.
- Rev Dr Merrill Kitchen, retired medical scientist, theologian and Church of Christ minister, and the Christian faith convener on the organising committee.
- Dr Senem Eren, counselling psychologist, member of Moonee Valley Interfaith network, organises seminars and workshops on peace and interfaith understanding
- Br. Lindsay Rust, Pallottine Brother, member of the organising committee and member of the Pallotti College community.